Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Two Old Women

I passed down broken narrow street, ravenous starving dogs laid in the corners, an old starving woman in her dark hut looked out at me. I saw through her. She is nothing but a skeleton, a beautiful woman so old, so much pain deserves a castle for her old age. Today I heard her weep.

Another sweet woman, the school cook, works all day sweating in the little concrete box of a kitchen. She sings as she works with her hands in the rice. Her eyes are filled with joy, even though she possesses nothing of material value. It is clear that the Spirit of God is in her just by looking at her smile. She lives a life of service. I have seen her many times before today, smiling always, while crouched down, cleaning pots and pans on the ground. I am a better person for just meeting her. I pray I can be like this woman, so content, and at peace with how God has delivered her. Such a beautiful woman, a kind, loving woman. It is this kind of woman who heaven will applaud, and there will be parades in her honor when she arrives.
On the right is Leshia, the school cook

1 comment:

  1. These last 3 posts are very moving. I am sitting here in my warm, safe living room crying. I am so glad you are there to see this, to tell us about it. I am so proud of you both and am very thankful for your words here to help remind us what shall never be forgotten. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete